Saturday, August 14, 2010

Smile

It’s been over a YEAR since I arrived in Niger. Wow! I can’t believe
how fast this year has gone by. Presently, I am at the hostel getting
ready for a day full of Niamey errands. Bank, grocery shopping,
tailors, and market.

I spent the last two weeks at the training site VATing (volunteer
assistant trainee). It was a lot of fun being able to spend time with
the new volunteers and getting to know them. I was responsible for
facilitating 3 technical sessions in CYE related topics in addition to
just being a resource as a PCV. We all know I have the gift of gab so
none of these tasks were all too difficult. My first session was on
Empowering the Youth. After, one of the new people told me that they
were happy that I didn’t put them to sleep. I took that as a
compliment. I presented two others on the Life Skills with my advisor,
which also went over well.

The village where the training site is located has been divided in two
separate towns. I decided that I would bike to the session taking
place in the other part of town. The ride round trip was 22k. Who knew
I was mildly athletic. Between that and my running I have surprised
myself because normally I am a bit clumsily. I guess my spunk makes up
for it.


Ramadan begins today, meaning the streets in my village will have
fewer crowds, have less food vendors, but much more villagers praying.
This will go on for the next month. I was considering fasting along
with my neighbors because I share a daily dinner with them already.
Though I don’t think it’s a smart idea for my health, seeing as I just
recently broke my arm possibly due to a lack of vitamins in my diet. I
may attempt it for a few days, but I’ll just wait to see how I feel.

Some things I am looking forward to in the next few weeks:

Sept. 23 The new volunteers will be swore-in.

Sept. 25 I get a new neighborhood that replaces Ricky’s post.

Oct. 19 I head to Spain for two weeks to meet up with my family!!!

Overall things are moving along pretty smoothly and I happy to report
that I am doing well and that my spirits are as high as always. I have
learned a lot about myself these past few months and remain very
confident in my decision to join PC even with my broke bones. What can
I say I am just happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment